Some cool Computer images:
James C. Elms
Image by NASA on The Commons
On October 1, 1966, James C. Elms was appointed Director of the NASA Electronics Resource Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Elms served as director until the closing of the ERC on June 30, 1970. Prior to his appointment as ERC Director, James Elms served as Deputy Director of NASA Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston, Texas and then as Deputy Associate Administrator for them Manned Spaceflight Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington, DC. The ERC opened in September 1964, taking over the administration of contracts, grants, and other NASA business in New England from the antecedent North Eastern Operations Office (created in July 1962), and closed in June 1970. It served to develop the space agencys in-house expertise in electronics during the Apollo era. A second key function was to serve as a graduate and post- graduate training center within the framework of a regional government-industry-university alliance. Research at the ERC was conducted in ten different laboratories: space guidance, systems, computers, instrumentation research, space optics, power conditioning and distribution, microwave radiation, electronics components, qualifications and standards, and control and information systems. Researchers investigated such areas as microwave and laser communications; the miniaturization and radiation resistance of electronic components; guidance and control systems; photovoltaic energy conversion; information display devices; instrumentation; and computers and data processing. Although the only NASA Center ever closed, the ERC actually grew while NASA eliminated major programs and cut staff in other areas. Between 1967 and 1970, NASA cut permanent civil service workers at all Centers with one exception, the ERC, whose personnel grew annually until its closure in June 1970.
Date: Circa 1966
Image from page 20 of “Trigonometria” (1658)
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Year: 1658 (1650s)
Authors: Newton, J.
Contributing Library: The Computer Museum Archive
Digitizing Sponsor: Gordon Bell
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
complement of P E, and B C the halfof B D equal to E F, whofe tangent is E H : Now becaufe thatG AH and C A E are equal, by conftrucrion ; as alfo the au-gles E A H and CAB; therefore the angle E H A or G H Ais the complement of E A H, and equal to C A E, and becaufethe angles at AandH, in the triangle G AH are equal, thefides A G and G H arc equal alfo, by the fifth of the firfi Book, ofEuclid^ therefore the fecant AG is equal to GE, the tangentof the arch E D, and E H the tangent of half its complement,as was to be proved. 3 t, The fecant of an arch added to the tangent of the famearch, is the tangent of that arch, and of half his complement added together. Dcmonftration. In this Diagram the angles A K E and BAG are equal, forB A C is the complement of CAE, and equal to theangle K.AGby conftruclion; and therefore the anglesK. A G and A K G areequal, and A G equal to K G, by the fifth of the firfi book, of £**-did, and A G and E G are equall to K G E, as was to beproved. G 2 34 The
Text Appearing After Image:
Trigonometi in Bntanwea, 34 The difference between the fecantof an arch and the tangent of the fame arch is equalthe tangent of half the complement.
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.